Ureteral reimplantation surgery in a 2 year old boy: Sonia’s story

Do you have any questions?
Join our support group if you would like to get some advice from families with children who have had ureteral reimplantation surgery.

J turned 2 in February and had his surgery (reimplantation of duplicated right ureters and removal of very large ureterocele which required significant bladder reconstruction) on April 2nd 2006.

Here is how things went for us…

Day 1 (before surgery)

Going into surgery was MUCH easier than I expected for 2 reasons. I share them because they are definitely things to ask about before surgery for those of you whose children haven’t had it yet.

First, they gave him an oral sedative (Versed) while we were waiting that morning, so he got quite happy (and hilarious) and didn’t mind separating from us at all. I was expecting a scream-fest, but he never cried at all. That made things so much less stressful for Mom and Dad too! Second, they put J to sleep using a mask in the operating room, and THEN they put in the IV while he was already asleep. This is standard procedure at our children’t hospital, but just in case it isn’t where you are, it’s definitely something to ask about!

J tends to be a really “difficult stick” when they draw blood, so I can’t imagine how much stress it would have caused if they had put in an IV while he was awake. He was so anxious before the sedative that they couldn’t even get an accurate temperature, couldn’t hear his heart or lungs, etc.

Day 1 (after surgery)

J was in the OR for about 4 hours (which included time to put in the IV and caudal block), a little longer than we anticipated because the doctor had to do a lot more reconstruction with his huge ureterocele than expected.

He had a Foley catheter, an IV in his arm, and 2 stents that drained out through his belly.

When we got to him in recovery room, he was crying. No matter what meds they gave him (valium and morphine), he continued to cry almost constantly for several hours.

As he woke up more, we could see that he was pulling his knees up, which the nurses said was an indication that his pain was due to bladder spasms. So although everything appeared to go right with the caudal, we assume that it didn’t take.

The pain management team at the hospital felt awful about it and definitely gave us the impression that it is unusual for it not to work, so don’t assume that a caudal isn’t a good method of anesthesia, we were just one of those rare cases where it didn’t work, just like some women’s epidurals don’t take during labor.

For the first 36 hours or so, pain was a big problem for us. We had to make sure that he got his meds the minute he was allowed to have them, and a couple of times, they called the doctor to get approval to increase or give his meds early.

We had no problem getting him to drink (I brought strawberry syrup for his milk because he loves strawberry milk at home.) The doctors and nurses were quite impressed that he was drinking so much…they even told us not to go overboard with the fluids so that they wouldn’t put too much pressure on his bladder.

Overall, day 1 was really difficult, because he was crying in pain a lot of the time despite the best efforts of the nurses and doctors. But for such a major surgery, it was pretty much what I expected.

TV helped a LOT to distract him, especially the portable DVD player we brought with his favorite show (Max and Ruby). šŸ™‚

The worst part of it all was that J stayed awake from the time he got to recovery room until 3:30am the next morning. I don’t know how in the world he held out that long in spite of the anesthesia, morphine, valium, etc., but he did. Long night.

Day 2

Day 2 was another tough one as far as pain goes.

By the afternoon of day 2, J was having some periods of seeming to feel pretty well. We were able to take him on a walk in the hospital lobby, and for the rest of the time, he enjoyed taking wagon rides up and down the glass elevators at the hospital. Just as he was starting to turn the corner, he pulled his IV out, and thankfully they let us try to go without it as long as his pain control was okay on oral meds (valium, tylenol with codeine, ditropan) and he was drinking.

He was much happier without the IV and some of the monitors. I think those bothered him more than the pain. I am really glad he pulled his IV out, because otherwise they would have left it in 2 more days.

On day 2, J took a good nap and then pretty much slept through the night like normal.

Day 3

J started to seem more like himself.

He was still having periods of lots of pain, but he was also having some really good times. Lots of wagon rides today.

The biggest problem at this point was his dislike of being in his hospital room and of his Foley catheter and stents (which were still attached to bags at this point).

He continued to drink but refused to eat. On top of not eating, codeine causes nausea, and oral valium tastes TERRIBLE, so J started vomiting about every other time we tried to give him meds. Thankfully, he would vomit immediately upon swallowing, so we were able to give him another dose right away since we knew he hadn’t gotten any.

Day 4

The doctor removed his Foley catheter in the morning, and cut his stents loose from their bags so that they just drained into his diaper. This REALLY made him feel much better!!!

He still wasn’t a big fan of walking, but he wanted to be in the wagon being wheeled all around the hospital all the time.

It was obvious when he was having spasms, but he did enjoy himself playing today.

The doctor said as long as the day went okay, J could go home this evening.

J vomited two more times when given his meds, but other than that, the day went very well.

When the doctor came back at 6pm to give us his final blessing before sending us home, he was told about the vomiting, and he told us that we needed to stay another night. We had already loaded the car, and J’s precious blankie was already at home in the washing machine. AGGHH! But thankfully, after a chat with the doctor about how I felt that J would eat at home (he ate almost nothing in the hospital), and how I really felt that he would do better without the anxiety of the hospital, the doctor agreed that it was okay to go home.Whew!

We got home shortly before bedtime, and J was so happy and didn’t seem uncomfortable at all! He slept through the night in his own bed.

He came home on ditropan 3x/day, motrin, valium every 6 hours, keflex 3x/day, zofran (to try to help with the vomiting his meds up), miralax (which we didn’t give him for a few days anyway because the antibiotic was causing diarrhea), and he had a prescription for tylenol with codeine which we never gave to him at all.

He really wasn’t having any incision pain, just spasms.

Organizing and planning out all his meds was a little overwhelming for me that first day or two. I had to write down EVERYTHING that I gave him and write out a schedule so I could plan for when he was due for something. I sneaked a dose of ditropan in to him in the early morning hours without waking him all the way to try to prevent him waking up in pain, but other than that, I didn’t wake him during the night for meds.

Day 5 (first full day at home)

J was happy as can be! He cried when he had spasms, but they only happened a few times a day, and he played happily with his sister the rest of the day.

He vomited his valium again, so we got the genius idea to get the doctor to switch him to pills.

He was on .6mg in liquid, so the doctor said he could take 1/4 of a 2mg pill (so it was a lower dose, but not by much). This worked SOOOOO much better! We put the timy 1/4 pill into some chocolate pudding, and he swallowed it right down.

Day 6 and 7

He was happy, just a few spasms.

He did still require some extra supervision since he was still on the valium, which caused him to act kind of drunk, falling down more than usual and doing out of character things, like eating orange play-doh because he thought it was a carrot. šŸ™‚

Day 8

Went to the doctor to remove his stents.

From the time we got home this evening after getting his stents out, he was like a new man! Running around and happy just like nothing ever happened!

Spasms were few and far between, and MUCH less severe.

Day 9

Discontinued the valium, and he did just fine without it.

The blood in his urine pretty much went away on this day.

I do home daycare, and I took my other kids back on this day, and he did just fine playing with them.

So that’s our story.

We had 2 days of misery, 2 days of not-much-fun, about 4 days of almost-back-to-normal, and then it was basically over.

He is doing really well. He does still have spasms, but they’re just barely enough to make him cry. He grabs himself and says “My doctor hurts” and gets upset for 30 seconds or so, and then it’s over. This seems to happen a lot just before and just after he goes to the bathroom. It’s complicated by the fact that he has decided to potty train himself in the midst of all this (started about 10 days before surgery), so he is extra-conscious of trying to control his urine and bowels right now. He actually seems to be having more spasms this week than last week…don’t know why, other than maybe the potty training issue.

For those of you who are about to go through this surgery (yourself or your child), be encouraged! It won’t be fun, but chances are, you will be AMAZED at how quickly it will be over! And the relief of knowing that it is behind us after 2 1/2 years of waiting for it is so nice! I am so glad that I had this group to help prepare me beforehand, and I hope that my experiences can help someone else.

See also stories from other families.


8 thoughts on “Ureteral reimplantation surgery in a 2 year old boy: Sonia’s story

  1. Jennifer, all surgery entails some pain. Bladder spasms can be horrible and there’s not one single cause for them. Fortunately most kids don’t have them. My daughter suffered terrible bladder spasms for many days but the surgery needed to be done. Some times you need to make difficult decisions for your children and that’s ok if in the long run those decisions will benefit them.

  2. Thank you for your story. Most of the info and post I have read made me worry and were very negitive of the surgery. My soon to be 20 month old daughter is going surgery on Dec 6th 2010 she is having left uretral reimplantation and bladder neck reconstruction. This will be her 3rd surgery all of different surgerys but after her last surgery she still had reflux and it still caused her to get UTI’s and kidney infections. So her last infection she went to her urologist at Childrens Hospital Pittsburgh Pa and he told me that we can go with these two surgerys now or wait till she’s about 3 yrs old, if I waited the infections if she keeps getting them before the surgery would damanage her kindney the only one she has now. So I thought the best thing to do would be to do it now. But after reading how much everyone has been not been a fan of this surgery I started to rethink my decision. After her last surgery where they took out her other kidney that was not working and did not form right because it also was trying to be formed as a duplicated collecting system and wasnt able to form to work so they took that out and now she has one working kidney but after that they thought she might out grow the reflux and was waiting to see if it did but they said if she keeps having infections she will need the surgerys so now I’m just not sure if I should wait to see if she gets another infection and let her have that time to see if she out grows it or get the surgery down now and keep her from maybe getting an infection. She has only had one infection that was hard to clear up since her last surgery that was this time last year. She is fine right now and in no pain and it kills me to think my decision to have the surgery will be putting her in pain for awhile. I just don’t know what to do and they didn’t mention bladder spasms so I called to see why they didn’t tell me about all of this and they said that is caused from stents and I asked if she would be getting the stents they said they can’t tell me this untill they get in there and see what they are really working with. She recovered really well from her last surgerys. I feel so pressured and I don’t want to make the wrong decision I’m not a doctor so I don’t know how to make the call. If anyone has any info for me please feel free to inform me. I know Im getting scared for her now because its getting so close till the surgery and can’t tell the difference if its a gut feeling thats telling me not to go through its quit yet or if it’s just my nerves. Its really upsetting that Im her mom and I can’t fix this or make it go away. All I can do is pray pray pray.

  3. Thank you fr sharing your story! My 2 year olds surgery is in 11 days and I was getting nervous/scared. I was worried about them wheeling him away from me and him being upset. Your story has given me courage to get through this! Thank You! So I have a question, does your son have kidney disease? What was the reason for the surgery?

  4. Thank you for sharing your story. It is nice to read a story that isn’t all *that* bad. Surgery is never easy, we expect there to be pain, but your story gives us hope this is doable and we will get through it. My daughter will have her surgery at 23 months.

  5. Thank you for posting your story! My 2 year old daughter will be having the uriter reimplantion surgery in Janurary 2010. I do have a question- how did you bring your son home from the hospital? We live in Ohio and children are required to be in carseats! I am just nervous of the pain that she will be in and making her ride buckled in just sounds worse! We live about an hr away from the place she will have the surgery .

  6. Pingback: Ureteral reimplantation surgery on a 6 year old boy: Lisa’s story « Kidney reflux, ureteral reimplantation surgery and bladder spasms

  7. Pingback: Families share their kidney reflux and ureteral reimplantation stories « Kidney reflux, ureteral reimplantation surgery and bladder spasms

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s